Frugal Florida: Free Museum Admission!
Florida Vacation Guide to free museum days!
Looking to visit a museum without it hurting your pocket book? Florida has a variety of museums for every interest, from art and natural history to aviation and erotica. There are also special programs for families, and activity-based events. In honor of the 2012 International Museum Day, we’re presenting some options for visiting museums that have free admission options. This year’s theme: “Museums in a Changing World. New challenges, New inspirations”, focuses on the change in information delivery with technology and social media.
International Museum Day Free Admissions
Certain Florida museums, such as the Boca Raton Museum of Art, are honoring International Museum day today, while others such as the Orlando Museum of Art, are celebrating the day this Sunday with free admission from noon till 4 pm. Not all museums participate in this celebration, so call the museum you’re most interested in to see if they’re open gratis, and if not, consider visiting one of the ones below that have free entrance year-round.
Museums that are Always Free
- National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola
- Florida Historic Capitol Museum, Tallahassee
- Holocaust Memorial, Miami Beach
- Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainesville
Museums that are Free on a Specific Day
- The first Monday of each month: Harry P. Leu Gardens/Leu House Museum, Orlando
- Each Monday: Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota
- Second Saturday of each month: Miami Art Museum
- Third Friday of every month (3 pm to 9 pm): Miami Children’s Museum
Do you visit museums when you’re travelling?