Commemorative Disney World Marathon starts today!
The 20th Disney World Marathon runs all weekend long
With new course twists, a commemorative medal and a post-race Downtown Disney party, this Anniversary marathon is the biggest yet. Here are some of the highlights:
Among the celebrities competing in the marathon, there are a number of runners that deserve special mention:
- 22-year-old Aurora De Lucia from Los Angeles is completing her 52nd half marathon in 52 weeks after being diagnosed with a congenital heart defect.
- 75-year-old Libby James, is attempting to set a world record for fastest half marathon for her age group. In May 2012, the mother of four and grandmother of 12, missed the world by record by a mere 44 seconds at the Colorado Half Marathon in Fort Collins but still ran the third-fastest half marathon of all time for the 75-79 age group in 1:50:43.
- for their tenth anniversary, Sean and Wendie Cheyney are renewing their vows at Disney’s the Half Marathon. At the 2003 Disney Marathon, the Chicago couple got married in front of Cinderella’s Castle.
- six inner-city students from Philadelphia are running in the Half Marathon as part of a “Students Run Philly Style” program where they learn character development, leadership skills and goal settings.
There are many celebrities running in the marathon and part of the Expo speaker sessions. They include:
- former NFL players Don Davey and Eddie Mason
- Olympians Frank Shorter, Joan Benoit Samuelson and Jim Ryun
- Drew Carey, Joey Fatone and Colin Cowherd
Things to do if you’re not running
If you’re not running in the marathon, there are still a number of events that make up the weekend and you can still be a part of the marathon vibe:
- Health and fitness Expo with everything running from technology and fashion to talks and workshops, all in the ESPN Sports Complex. the official runDisney running shoe created by New Balance
- Fitness Expo speakers: training consultant Jeff Galloway, nutritionist Tara Gidus, Olympians and former NFL players
- Cool Down Party at Downtown Disney on Sunday.
Are you running in the marathon?