Best of Northern Florida Events: January 11 – January 18
What To Do from January 11 – January 18, 2013
1. Manatee County Fair
It’s Palmetto’s annual fair at the Manatee County Fairgrounds with art and crafts exhibits and food vendors, livestock shows and auctions, midway rides and musical entertainment. From Rocket the Robot to Ed and Geraldine’s Old Time Music to Johnny Staats and The Delivery Boys and the Dennis Lee show, adults are entertained while kids will enjoy The Sweeney Family Band, Belmont World of Magic Show and Kids Pedal Tractor Pulls.
- Highlight: Ride the midway
- When: January 12-22, various times
- Where: 1402 14th Avenue West, Palmetto, FL 34221, Florida
- Cost: $7/adults, $6/seniors 55 and older, $5/children 6-12, Free/children 5 and under free.
2. Bird Walk
Walk along Fort Cooper State Park trails for about 2 ½ hours to learn about winter birds from a member of the local Audubon society. Birders and beginners are welcome – bring binoculars, field guides and mosquito repellant.
- Highlight: Winter birding
- When: Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 8:00 a.m.
- Where: 3100 South Old Floral City Road, Inverness, Florida 34450, Florida
- Cost: $3/vehicle (maximum 8 people)
3. National Stephen Foster Day Concert
Celebrate Stephen Foster at a live performance with more than 97 individual bells. The 200 foot tall Stephen Foster Carillon has some of the largest collection of tubular bells in the world and the period costume performance commemorates his death in 1864.
- Highlight: tubular bell concert
- When: January 13, 2013 | 2 p.m.
- Where: 11016 Lillian Suanders Dr., White Springs, Florida 32096
- Cost: $5.00/vehicle (maximum 8 passengers)