Best Of Southern Florida Events: July 4 2012
Florida Travel Guide – July 4 2012: Things to Do in Southern Florida
Celebrate America’s birthday in any number of ways if your travels take you through Southern Florida on July 4th. Here are three great events taking place in this part of Florida on the Fourth.
1. Old-fashioned Fourth of July Picnic at The Barnacle Historic State Park
Enjoy the Fourth in Coconut Grove on the grounds of a 19th century pioneer home site at an old-fashioned picnic. The home and the grounds will be decorated in traditional July 4 bunting as it would have looked when Commodore Munroe’s family was residing there. Play lawn games, see knot-tying and kite-making demonstrations. Come in period dress if you wish – the staff and volunteers will be! Don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch and a blanket!
- Highlight: Old-fashioned fun on the Fourth
- When: July 4, park opens at 9am and festivities take place throughout the day
- Where: Barnacle Historic State Park, 3485 Main Highway, Miami, FL
- Cost: Adults/$5, Children 6-11/$4
2. Fourth of July Celebration, Miami Beach
No matter what you’re looking for in an Independence Day celebration; a party at the beach or a patriotic ceremony, you’ll find it at Bayfront Park in Miami Beach. There will be concerts, food, children’s activities and it all ends in a spectacular display of fireworks. You’ll wish they’d last forever!
- Highlight: Kids Zone!
- When: July 4, starting at 3pm
- Where: Bayfront Park,301 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132
- Cost: Free
3. Charlotte Harbor Freedom Swim, Punta Gorda
Take part in the Charlotte Harbor Freedom Swim in Punta Gorda. This un-structured event is always held on July 4th. There are no rules, no requirements and basically nobody in charge. Use your own common sense and embark on a swim from the north end of the southbound US 41 bridge to Fishermen’s Village. Some experienced swimmers finish the 1.5-mile course in 30 to 40 minutes while others may take one or two hours (sometimes up to four) to finish.
- Highlight: Swimming for fun
- When: July 4, 1:55pm
- Where: North end of Southbound US 41 Bridge in Port Charlotte
- Cost: Free
Which of these Southern Florida events would you most like to attend with your family?