Best of South Florida Events: Jan. 6-13
Florida Travel Guide: Things to Do in South Florida
It’s a New Year – start it off by exploring some different venues!
1) Beaux Arts Festival
Start your morning walking amid 300 displays of art, crafts and various media. Along with free admission is live music and entertainment and special art moments for children.
- Highlight: Juried fine arts show.
- When: Jan. 7-Jan 8
- Where: Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami Campus, 1301 Stanford Drive, Coral Gables, FL
- Cost: Free
2) Historical Tour
Stroll through lush gardens, along the river and by tall oak trees as Mona or Jettie Burroughs talk of life in this Georgian Revival Mansion, which hosted the Edisons, Fords, and Firestones. One of the oldest homes in Fort Myers, you’ll see antique furnishings, historical artifacts, and hear tales they were a part of.
- Highlight: Take a step back in time.
- When: Jan. 6, 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Burroughs Home & Gardens 2505 First St., Ft. Myers, FL
- Cost: $10/tour, $10/lunch
3) Square Dance
- Highlight: Join a 30-year tradition.
- When: Jan. 10, 7-9:30 p.m.
- Where: Outdoor Resorts, mile marker 66, 65821 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL
- Cost: $5
4) Nature Walk
Join an Environmental Specialist on a hike at Red Bug Slough Preserve. The pine flatwood and oak hammock terrain is home to bobcats, river otters, barred owls and more. Along with wearing long pants and walking shoes, don’t forget to bring a light jacket, water, sun protection, insect repellent, and binoculars. The walk has a group limit so register on-line at www.scgov.net.
- Highlight: Plant and wildlife identification.
- When: Jan. 6, 9-11 a.m.
- Where: Red Bug Slough Preserve, 5200 Beneva Road, Sarasota FL 34231
- Cost: Free
5) Songwriters Showcase
Listen to the world as musicians from around the globe perform in a show that includes an open mic segment similar to coffeehouses in Greenwich Village during the 60s.
- Highlight: Try the open mic in front of a welcoming audience!
- When: Jan. 9, 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW 5th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cost: $10
How are you going to ring in the first weekend of this year?