Best of South Florida Events: Jan. 20-27
Florida Travel Guide - Jan. 20-27 : Things to Do in Central Florida
From panning to gold to indulging in chocolate, this is a decadent week!
1) Ghost Walk
Stroll by candle light through Koreshan State Historic Site and experience pioneer life “live”. Note you will cross uneven and unstable ground in low light conditions.
- Highlight: Candle-lit walk.
- When: Jan 27 and 28, 7, 7:15, 7:30 and 7:45 PM.
- Where: Koreshan State Historic Site 3800 Corkscrew Road Estero, FL 33928
- Cost: $10. Reserve in advance (239) 992-0311!
Pan for gold, scout hidden items with a GPS or operate a metal detector! From antiques to pirate booty, this exhibit focuses on not only the excitement but also the technological tools and ethics of treasure hunting.
- Highlight: Pan for Gold.
- When: Jan-May 20th. Buy tickets ($15) for Feb. 4th day with treasure hunter and author Pat Clyne, 1 p.m.
- Where: Imaginarium Science Center, 2000 Cranford Ave., Fort Myers
- Cost: $12/adults; $10/seniors; $8/students with ID; free/3 and younger .
3) Key West Historic House Tours
- Highlight: A rare opportunity to see the interior of historical homes.
- When: Jan 20-21, 5-8 p.m.
- Where: Starts at 711 Elizabeth St., Key West (visit Old Island Restoration Foundation for more info & ticket purchase locations)
- Cost: $25.
4) Photography & Sculpture Exhibit
This exhibition regards the role of children from the times of Queen Victoria to the present day. More than 200 works of photography and sculpture.
- Highlight: A focus on children.
- When: Jan. 26 Artist Reception.
- Where: Palm Beach Photographic Centre, 415 Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Cost: Free.
5) International Chocolate Festival
Do the Chocowalk discover the life cycle of a cacao plant or try chocolate yoga in the morning, attend chocolate lectures and storytimes, watch chocolatiers, cooking demonstrations and chocolate sculptors, but most importantly, sample chocolate delicacies including chocolate beer!
- Highlight: Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!
- When: Jan. 20-22, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden 10901 Old Cutler Road Coral Gables, FL 33156
- Cost: Free for members. Non-members: $25/adults, $18/seniors (65 & up); $12/children 6-17. Eco-discount if you walk, cycle or take public transit: $5 off adult admission; $2 off children admission.
Do you prefer to get outdoors for walks on weekends or stay indoors and sample food?