Best of North Florida Events: May 18-25
Florida Travel Guide – May 18-25: Things to Do in Northern Florida
If you’re traveling in the Northern areas of Florida between May 18 and 25, let fun be your guide!
1. Wakulla River Kayak Eco Adventure
Take your family on a “beginner-friendly” guided kayaking tour of the spring fed Wakulla River. If you’re interested in kayaking we’re assuming you love nature so keep your eyes peeled for manatees, ospreys, turtles, herons and all kinds of wildlife. We recommend calling to register: 1-850-877-7200
- Highlight: A lazy ride down a beautiful waterway
- When: May 19, 10am
- Where: 3152 Shadeville Road, Wakulla Station/Crawfordville, Florida
- Cost: $42/person
2. Wild Amelia Nature Festival
If the weather’s fine (many of this three-day festival’s activities are dependent upon the weather) this is an event the family will love where you all get to explore the wild side of Amelia Island. There are more than 25 seminars and experiences to take in and there really is something for everyone at the Wild Amelia Nature Festival. Take a Segway tour of Ft. George Island or explore bird habitats by bike. Go kayaking through the marshes along Ft. Clinch State Park. Kids love the hands-on nature activities and they will especially love the Sea Turtle release on Friday at 11am at the Georgia Sea Turtle Center.
- Highlight: Watching the sea turtle release
- When: May 18-20 (fun starts at 11am Friday at Main Beach)
- Where: Various locations on Amelia Island
- Cost: Costs for seminars and activities vary but most are free
3. Newberry Watermelon Festival
Head to Newberry for a good old fashioned fun Watermelon Festival. A lot of the favorite festival activities from back when the event first started in 1946 are still going on today including the hog calling, watermelon eating, seed spitting and pie/cake baking. Oh and of course there’s a “Big Melon” competition. And we can’t forget to mention that you get to eat your fill of free watermelon!
- Highlight: Watching gross watermelon seed spitting contests
- When: May 19
- Where: Canterbury Equestrian Showplace, 23100 West Newberry Road Newberry, FL 32669
- Cost: Free
Which favorite Florida event would you guide us to for weekend travels?