Travel Deals: Shop tax free throughout Florida this weekend
Florida News: Tax free shopping holiday in effect from August 3 to August 5, 2012
If you’re looking for some bargains, head out to any shopping mall or outlet store this weekend. Next to Christmas and Black Friday, Florida’s most popular shopping period starts today. From August 3, 2012 at 12:01 a.m. to August 5, 2012 at 11:59 p.m., all clothing and school supplies are tax-free. Yes, the sales tax is lifted for any clothing below $75 and any school supplies below $15. Check our list below for items that do and don’t apply.
Items not taxed
For a full list of items that aren’t taxed, you can check with the Florida Department of Revenue but here is an overview of some items:
- accessories such as belts, hats and suspenders
- wallets and bags including handbags, backpacks, fanny packs, diaper bags and lunch boxes
- School supplies such as pens, pencils, erasers, crayons, markers
- notebooks, notebook filler paper, legal pads, binders, folder, poster boards and construction paper
- scissors, tape, glue and rulers,
- computer disks, protractors, compasses, and calculators.
The following items are some that are excluded from the tax free shopping holiday:
- books except for the bible
- duffle bags, briefcases, suitcases, and other garment bags
- sporting equipment such as skis, swim fins, roller blades, and skates
- watches, watchbands, jewelry, umbrellas and handkerchiefs
Where to Shop
- Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise
- Miromar Outlets in Estero
- Ellenton Premium Outlets near Tampa Bay
- Premium Outlets in Orlando
Do you do all your shopping during this tax-free weekend?