Disney World Marathon becomes part of Runner’s World Challenge!
Disney Vacation Guide to the Disney World Marathon Jan. 12-13, 2013
Running events are being announced at Disney and 2013 holds a special one. It’s the 20th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon and the event has received a special Runner’s World Challenge designation to give a unique training experience to its participants. New at Disney, if you’ve ever wanted to participate in this marathon, this is the year! Not only do you run through the theme parks, but you will train with Runner’s World editors.
Walt Disney World Marathon
There are a number of events that make up this weekend:
- Half Marathon on Jan. 12th, 2013
- the Marathon on Jan. 13th, 2013
- Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge (You have to finish Saturday’s Half Marathon and Sunday’s Marathon to qualify for Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge medal)
The 20th anniversary race
If you’re wondering what’s new at Disney for this commemorative year, here they are:
- a new course routing through the Walt Disney World Speedway and Champion Stadium ballpark at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- special Mile 20 entertainment
- a unique 20th anniversary medal
- post-race celebration in Downtown Disney
Runner’s World Challenge event
Before the race, runners virtually train with Runner’s World editors via a Challenge-only website. As Challenge participants, they can ask questions and will receive answers from Runner’s World editors. Along with 3-night accommodations at Disney’s Beach Club or Yacht resorts, the exclusive package for the Runner’s World Challenge will have many exclusive components such as private transport to and from the start and finish line, Race Retreat access which has a dedicated stretching area, massage and private portalets, and a course strategy session led by Runner’s World experts.
Have you ever run in the Disney World Marathon?