Commemorative Medal for Walt Disney World Marathon Unveiled
Disney News: The 20th Anniversary medal for the Disney Marathon features spinning elements
Walt Disney once said: “I only hope that we don’t lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” This well known quote is part of the commemorative medal that was displayed today by runDisney. The design of this year’s medal has been widely anticipated as yet another reason to complete the 26.2 miles for the 20th anniversary of the race. For the last two weeks, we’ve been following “The Great Medal Caper” on social media to see if we can figure out the design from various clues, now here it is!
The Medal Design
The standard circular shape of the medal is enhanced with two spinning elements, inspirational quotes by Walt Disney and both a modern and classic image of Mickey.
The Marathon is part of the full fledged Disney World Marathon Weekend which runs from January 10th to 13th, 2013. Along with the anniversary medal, runners will have a number of special features during this 20th Anniversary:
- a new course that winds through the Walt Disney World Speedway and Champion Stadium ballpark at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- virtually training with Runner’s World editors via a Challenge-only website
- special Mile Marker 20 entertainment to commemorate the 20th anniversary
- post-race celebration in Downtown Disney
Aside from the marathon, there are a number of events that make up this weekend:
- Half Marathon on Jan. 12th, 2013
- the Marathon on Jan. 13th, 2013
- Kids’ Races
- the Mickey Mile
- Family Run 5K
- the 39.3 mile Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge (You have to finish Saturday’s Half Marathon and Sunday’s Marathon to qualify for Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge medal)
- Health and fitness Expo with everything running from technology and fashion to talks and workshops, all in the ESPN Sports Complex.
Which is your favorite Disney World Marathon?